Turning a compressor tank into a fire pit

This tank came with my Quincy 325 compressor, which is now happily chugging away on a 60 gallon tank. I originally got it working on this tank, but I could tell that the inside was in bad shape and wasn’t sure the extent of the corrosion or health of the tank. To start with, I cut the tank in half with an angle grinder (and a whole pile of cutting discs). The wood shims were inserted to support the top as I cut around the tank, which ended up working great, and then I lifted the top off by strapping underneath the deck that the motor and compressor mounted to.

Turns out it’s very rusty in there. This tank wasn’t even that old, it was manufactured in 1993. Now, it might be that the serious pitting in the bottom wouldn’t have been an issue, but frankly the thing was bigger than I need and anxiety inducing enough that I didn’t want to keep it. If I’d payed anything like retail it would be a different story, but I payed around $450 including shipping for the entire compressor setup.

It takes a lot of cutoff wheels to get through this much steel.