Mill Upgrades – Spindle Motor Part 3

The new spindle motor and pulleys are finally installed and working (and all the gearing and oil is out of the head).

As you can see in the picture below, I ended up with two cap screws to hold the spindle pulley in place. This is because I did a poor job on the bore and the pulley had 0.020″ runout. I just added the second cap screw and got it to within 0.002″, which really reduced the noise level.

The next step is to run the spindle up in steps and see how the temps look. It’s currently running the stock bearings, but I do have replacement angular contact bearings that are good up to at least 8k RPM with grease.

After that I want to try out some commercially available pulleys as I put together the BOM and instructions for the plans I’ll be selling.

IMG_3300

The biggest benefit by far is the difference in noise level. It now makes 77 dB at 3k RPM, compared to 85 dB with the gears in place.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s